Ah yes, here it comes. (Takes a deep breath) I LOVE WINTER! For all you haters, tough beans. I said it and I mean it. It's not something I ever expected to say but snowboarding has unlocked a passion in me that I haven't felt in years.Now that the season is over, I'm not ready to stop. Snowboarding has gotten to me in a way that nothing else besides music ever has.
The Beginning
In August, I was reintroduced to a friend of a friend who would talk incessantly about snowboarding. There are people in my life with different passions *cough* obsessions *cough* but I enjoy listening to them talk about the things they love. Something was different this time as I started to grow more than the usual passing interest. After a night out with some serious shred heads (mad props to the Afton crew) and picking up a used snowboard from Graham (boredyak.blogspot.com), the adventure began.
The worst part? It didn't snow right away! All though October and November I wished and wished for snow to no avail. During that time, I practiced in the living room and discussed theories of gear and technique. Finally, December blessed us with some sweet flakes and I was ready to go!
Afton: Day 1
The first day of snowboard is awful. There is no sugar coating it. I fell. A lot. Being scared of heights was no picnic either. Ben, my snowboarding guru, affectionately tells everyone that I "was shaking like a virgin on prom night." The true test is weather or not a person gets back on that board. The second day for me was better and it's been getting more epic ever since.
The feeling of rushing down the hill/mountain on the edge of control is indescribable. Each day out I search for the run that provides the Zen calm moment. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does... pure happiness. In my first season, I made two mountain trips and got hooked in with an awesome shred crew. Looking forward to chronicling those adventures soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment