Monday, April 25, 2011

Pixies for good

Last night, I went to the Pixies show at Roy Wilkens. I haven't been a Pixies fan for very long, but prep for this show was easy. They played the entire album Doolittle including all the B-sides. Encores included songs like "Where is Your Mind" and "Gravity." Truly a great show.

The part of the show that most struck me happened before I even saw the show. Since I had volunteered to work the show for The Current, I got tickets that were in the balcony. Not ideal, but fine nonetheless. It was a beautiful night, so I skipped the opening band in favour of chatting with friends outside. Many people were trying to scalp or unload tickets for the show. Since I had mine, I paid little attention. A few minutes before show time, a woman in her 50's came up to my friend and I to inquire if we wanted tickets. I quickly said we didn't, but asked her where the tickets were (GA floor or balcony).

She said they were floor. Her husband, waiting in the car, had ruptured his ACL and was on crutches. He couldn't manage to stand for the whole show. I offered her my tickets in exchange so he would be able to sit and still enjoy the show. She went back to ask him, but returned to say that he was tired and just wanted to let the tickets go. She asked if we wanted to simply have the floor tickets so they could go home. I greatfully accepted.

My concert mate was suprised at what transpired. "I don't think anyone here would have done that for her." I thought nothing of offering my tickets. My reasoning was that the woman and her husband could still see the show they had been so excited attend. Sure, it is my preferance to see concerts on the floor, but that didn't even enter into my thought process in my offer.

Doing something good for someone can be simple and generally not much of an inconvenince to you. Things may even turn out better than you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment