Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not resolutions. Just a level up.

Are we sick of lists of unrealistic resolutions yet?
  • "This year I will meet the man/woman of my dreams."
  • "This year I will lose a millions pounds."
  • "This year I will learn underwarter basket weaving, how to change my blinker fluid, master the french horn and knit 100 sweaters for penguins."
  • "This year I will..."
blah blah blah

For years, I would wait until March to make my resolutions, or challenges rather. That way, anyone who was not whole heatedly committed to their list would have long since given up and I was in the clear. The most common goal is related to fitness. Many of my gym's regulars are already grousing about how it's nearly impossible to get a treadmill/elliptical/etc and the weights are now constantly in disarray.

Let's be honest with ourselves folks. We don't really like to change that much. How realistic is is that you're going to be doing all these fabulous things when you're starting from scratch? Goals are great, most people have them, but remember to be reasonable about your expectations. Treat it like a couch to 5K program. Start slowly and ease your way into it.

This being said, I'm making my list of challenges early this year. However it's because most of the list are things I'm already doing. They are next steps or leveling up. Maybe by the end of 2012 we'll get to see Shanna 2.5.
  • Read The Economist monthly
    -At present I read it quarterly and upping that to monthly wouldn't hurt
  • Use up all samples and trial sizes of personal care items before buying new large size items
    -This is part of my decluttering of my life that started last year. It's going well, but I still have to deal with the secret hoarding that's happening at my childhood home. Maybe next year.
  • 16 flights of stairs per day (M-F)
    -I work on the 8th floor. This is almost a no brainer as I need to get up from my desk several times per day anyway.
  • Digitize my CDs and keeping less than half 
    -Part of the decluttering. This one actually hurts a little, but for as much as I move, it's warrented.
  • Meet 7 people I follow on Twitter in real life (list redacted)
    -I have meet bunches of fatanstic people from Twitter and I plan to keep this up. I have a list that I'm working on, but not publishing it because that would take the fun out of it.
  • Finish the Fargo Half Marathon in 2:30
    -This seems entirely doable after my previous TC10 Mile runs, but I will have to continue to push myself. A mild winter turning into an early spring might be an extra bonus to the achievement of this one.
What I'm not putting out for public consumption are my fitness goals. These are still in the works and are more for just me. I know what I want and am taking the steps to get there. Plus I have plenty of time to think about them as I now have to show up 20 minutes early to spin class to get a bike. C'mon February....

No comments:

Post a Comment