Saturday, January 6, 2007

Best Bets of 2006

I've been infiltrated by all the "Best of 2006" lists that are kicked around post Thanksgiving ever year. Since no new music comes out at all during December save the occasional indie release or ubiquitous Christmas album, critics get board. So here is part my thoughts, part pulled from other lists. The only reason I'm doing it this way this year is because I didn't have a chance to buy as many albums because of living overseas. My lament on real record stores over there saved for another day.

Solid stuff that I've heard/bought:

Gomez - How We Operate --> After I bought Split the Difference a few years back I realized that it would be a smart idea to go out and buy every Gomez album ever made. I'm almost there and How We Operate is another in a hopefully long line of greatness. Song about how what happens in Vegas, doesn't necessarily stay in Vegas (Cry on Demand) and what you get from others is better than items purchased (See the World) are good things to live by. Plus the vocals are perfectly harmonized and fantastically raspy as always.

M. Ward - Post War --> This album is like a big comfy chair. It's inviting upon first notice and once you sink in you are in for a long lazy afternoon. My favourite track at press time is Chinese Translation, not for reasons that you would think. The lyrics are deep and end in made me think of Greg Brown's Dream On.

James Hunter - People Gonna Talk --> Reminds me of growing up in the 60's. I'm an old soul, you know that. Start to finish this is pure soul and Hunter is able to transport all back to the bygone era. All accounts of the live show say he's phenomenal.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife --> Another great literary laden album from The Decemberists. What I've heard thus far is right on compared to Picaresque and may the sea shanties continue.

Tom Waits - Orphans (Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards) --> Yes I am one of those people who think that anything Mr. Waits comes out with is insta-fantastic. But, to be fair, much of this is not new it's just in one place. I liked it before, but his interview on The World Cafe with David Dye solidified him and a great American songwriter for me. Not only was the conversation great, but the concert excerpts were fantastic also. I only hope to see him live some day soon.

The Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not --> Depending on where you lived in 2006, this signified one of two things. Either the second coming of the Beatles or just another British rock band. I leaned a little toward the middle and think that The Arctic Monkeys were a fantastic phenomenon. The album is laced with great lyrics and these guys are very young for the content and I'm hoping they won't go the way of The Libertines and break up before we realize their full potential.

What's the deal with...?

Tapes and Tapes -->Yep, still don't get it but seems a staple with the hipsters.
The Guillemots - From the Cliffs --> I love the track Trains to Brazil. The rest is a major snooze and was the first album that I've considered selling in many moons. Nice try guys. Stay overseas.

Curious about...

Mission of Burma - The Obliterati --> This album is haunting me in every record store I've been into the last month. It's close to replacing the boogie man in my closet. It's actually getting spooky. I was in Cheapo vinyl two days ago and picked up something else, and it turned into Mission of Burma in my hand. No lie, I had to go upstairs after that.

Late additions...

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America --> I've been beaten over the head by the inter-artist hype so why not? I've got Christmas gift cards burning a hole in my genuine fake wallet. Giving them a go and so far not disappointed. They have the Minneapolis sound (a la The Jayhawks and such), along with enough references to make this newly made Twin Town girl smile.

Plus 44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating --> Big thanks to Ryan H. for introducing me to this. A big void was left in many of us old punk rawkers in Feb of 2005 when Blink 182 called it quits. Tom Delonge did his new project, Angels and Airwaves, and I was less than impressed. The +44 (plus forty-four) has restored my faith in what's left of the band. Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker reunite with a couple of others to put out a pretty solid album from what I've heard thus far. Make You Smile is definitely the standout track, but I have no doubt that there will be many new favourites once I get into the record a bit further.

If you made it this far, big thanks. I hope you either found something useful, agree fully, or are going out to try something new. Either way, I am hotly anticipating many great new albums as well as scanning the bargain bins at Cheapo for old favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment