There's nothing like letting the cat out of the bag in a nonchalant way. Yes, that's right kids: I'm spending Christmas (sort of) and New Year's in Haiti.
Taking a mission or volunteer trip is something that I've wanted to do a long time and when last year's trip to Sierra Leone was cancelled, I resigned myself to think that the opportunity wouldn't come around again for quite a while. Having the passionate about doing good type of friends that I do, I didn't have to wait as long as I thought. My church is very active in mission work both in the US and abroad. The trips abroad have mostly been to Africa, but since the need in Haiti is still so great, this trip was changed. I was on the fence about going for various reasons, changing my mind daily about whether or not to go. As I was getting ready for work one day in July, I heard this story on The Takeaway:
That sealed the deal for me. For the past few months, I have been downsizing my life and trying to live more simply as I have far more possessions than I need. This ran smack dab in the middle of my thoughts on not forgetting people who have suffered a disaster after it has fallen out of the news. The people of Haiti are being forgotten as new stories and new disasters occur. As someone who has been a benefactor of many people's charity, love and help, I put my foot down. This is where I, Miss Shanna, needed to get involved.
I will share more details as they become more concrete, but I will be making a quick trip back to North Dakota for an abbreviated Christmas, then I will be getting on a plane about December 27. The trip will be for about a week, but those who have done similar excursions know how much change can be done in a week. I'm looking forward to meeting people, helping in whatever way I can, and learning about how the disaster is being managed. I'm anxious about how this will change me. I've done volunteer work. I've lived in a 3rd world country. I've never combined them. This has potential to be a very powerful.
Here's the part where you can get involved. If this is something you believe in or care about, please consider making a donation to the effort, if you are able. All my years in public radio have given me the courage to ask but by no means am I trying to guilt anyone into anything. I'm doing this because I believe in it. If you have the want and/or the means to help support me, this can be done through a multitude of ways, so feel free to ask.
There will be upcoming fundraisers that I will be publicizing, as well as telling tales of learning French. If I'm going to a country, I would like to be able to communicate with the people I'm helping, even if it is at a child's level. Taking a deep breath. Poised and ready to jump. Both feet first. Go!
No comments:
Post a Comment