Thursday, September 1, 2011

Failure

For some reason, every year at the end of summer, I think about failure. A lot. Now, by most measures, my life is pretty successful. Job, good friends, great family, many things to bring a smile to my face. However, there are times when I reflect on the dreams of my early 20's compared to where my life has ended up and have to admit there is a fairly wide gap.

If you asked 20 year old me where I would be in ten years, it would be far from a corporate cube farm. VERY far. I suppose that's part of being 20 is that you still think you can change the world by force of will. A lot of trial and error have proven that you need support, mostly people but also financial, to get things to go the way you plan. Before this turns into a pity party, my mind does put a check in place and that is to pop two songs into my head. The first, Failure by Martin Sexton, inspires my email signature.


"Thank you failure, for all those things I could not do."

This reminds me that I may not have as much control over my life as I think I do (*GASP!*) and that sometimes dreams choose me.


"Don't look to hard for what you want, 'cuz it could be on the tip of your tongue"

What will happen is already there, sometimes all I need to do is realise it.

Wouldn't want to take life too seriously, you might miss it. Thanks Ferris.

No comments:

Post a Comment