Being tenacious, determined, some would say stubborn, has
its advantages. Seeing a task through to the bitter end or fighting for what’s right. Getting to the moment where you just push through to say that it’s
done. The End! This has been what's been great and what's been terrible in my journey with running.
| The spoils of some of 2011's races. |
Two years ago, a few co-workers decided it would be a fun
team event to run the TC 1 Mile race together. Having been vehemently opposed
to running since I quit high school basketball, I was initially hesitant. But,
I rationalized it to the fact that anyone can run a mile and dragged my sister
along for the ride. The run went fine and I was proud of myself. Mostly because
I would never have to do that again.
Little did I know that I was lucky. How lucky you ask? Because
by finishing the TC 1 Mile I won a guaranteed entry to the TC 10 Mile. WHAT?? I now had to run 10 miles? This wasn’t sitting well with me. I entertained thoughts
of selling or giving away my registration, but I found out neither was
possible. So for the summer of 2010, I trained. It started with “easy” 3 mile
runs early in the morning and worked up to 7 mile runs on the weekends. None of this was
fun, but I was stubborn and no one was going to talk me out of it. The day of the
race, I was nervous, but knew that if I finished I wouldn’t have to do this
ever again and that I would have literally run 10 miles; the farthest distance
I had ever run. So the race went. I finished in 2 hours and 21 minutes. I
wanted to die a few times in the middle, but I finished and didn’t die thus
accomplishing the goals I set for myself.
Over the winter, something weird happened. I kept wanting to run.
This was clearly wrong in my mind, but I didn’t care. Then a group of my friends
got together to organize charity runs during the Fargo Marathon weekend. I wasn’t
ready for a marathon, but the race weekend did have a 10K. The decision to run the 10 K was my tipping
point. I ran the TC 1 Mile again. I ran the Warrior Dash. I won ANOTHER
guaranteed entry into the TC 10 Mile. I ran the 10 Mile in less time than I did
the previous year. Progress had been made and new goals were set.
Now here I am, after my second season of running and poised
to do a half marathon in the spring. That’s 13.1 miles and will raise the bar
on the farthest distance I’ve ever run. I’m ready for the challenge even though
I know I will get ribbed by friends for being one of those crazy running
people.
At this point, it’s worth it. Without intending to, I’ve
become a runner and I'm gunning to be pretty good at it.
You'll never be as crazy as my step-mom about running... and that's a very good thing!
ReplyDelete