Thursday, July 22, 2010

Montana state of mind

Since discovering my new found love of mountains with the fact I love to travel, this year has been the year of road trips to Montana. It works out to be about 3x as long as going home. For the recent few trips, I haven't had to drive much (Thanks BernWern!), and the excitement of the destination is worth it every time.

This trip was no different. We drove 15 hours, had 48 action packed hours on site and rocketed another 15 hours home. Within the first 6 hours of the trip, I came the realization that my phone was on the fritz and there was to be no WiFi. My initial shock turned to "Hey wait, I'm on vacation!" So the iPod got loaded with tunes for discing and the phone was turned off. I forgot how easy it could be to lose all of my daily distractions and just stare out at the mountainous landscape, breathe the fresh air and huck a disc.

One of the main reasons, besides visiting our friend Kyle, was a disc golf tournament. I had faith in the good people of Montana, so I came with no partner. On the morning of the tournament I was paired with Doc Watson, who has been discing for about the same amount of time as I have been alive. Those odds are looking pretty good. We finished -9 after 36 holes, which was the first negative score I've ever had. This score was good enough to earn the title of Montana Mixed Doubles State Champions. We are clearly going to gloss over the fact that there was only one mixed doubles team in the tournament, thank you very much. The slight downer was that I lost a disc on one of the more challenging holes of the course. (Note: After the writing of this article a kind gentleman by the name of Greg found my disc and called me. I will be getting it back soon.) I enjoyed proclaiming that "The Mongorian stole my disc." Darn you, Mongorians.

The weekend was so different than my usual routine. Cassi, Kyle, Ben and I went white water rafting courtesy of Kyle's co-worker who took us on a wild ride down the Gallitin River. Small victory was achieved by not falling out of the boat. Large victory was achieved by simplifying life and enjoying the scenery. I could stare out at the mountains forever.

The relaxation I felt on this trip is something that I rarely get in my city life. Always going, over scheduling and hive of actives left undone are always buzzing around the edges of my consciousness. Perhaps there will be time some day soon where I can exorcise some of the busy body citified life and become one with nature. Likely not, but spending more time doing active things will certainly be achievable.
Thank you Kyle, the Mountains and Montana. I will see you again in February, if not sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment